Old Fashioned Divinity Candy
Prep time :
Bake/Cook time :
24 divinity candies
- 2 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup walnuts or pecan pieces
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries or other dried fruit
- In a saucepan stir to a boil sugar, corn syrup and water. Once boiling wash away any sugar crystals that may stick to sides of pan with a brush dipped in clean water. Any additional water added to pan has no effect on final outcome.
- Let boil without any further stirring of sugar syrup.
- Meanwhile, using an electric mixer or a stand up mixer whip egg whites on low speed.
- Once sugar syrup has reached 260°F, remove from heat. Engage mixer in high speed and pour syrup in a slow steady stream along inner wall of mixing bowl. Whip until mixture is very stiff. Keep beating until mixture starts to loose it’s gloss. Then add vanilla, nuts and fruit.
- Scoop divinity by spoonfuls on wax paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Let cool completely and store in an air-tight container.
DIXIE CRYSTALS INSIGHT
In humid conditions, divinity will not harden. Be sure to try this recipe on a dry day. A candy or digital kitchen thermometer is essential.
Shout Out To Our Baking Friends
:: AMANDA Conner :: Jose Rios :: Holli Weaver :: Izzysmom :: JS :: horsecents :: Jennifer H :: Robin O :: Ashley :: Rachel Martinez :: LILLY :: Doretha :: germany :: Renee M :: sandra b :: T.T.Wright :: Angel C :: Toni R :: egelle :: SALLY M