Spicy Mac and Cheese
Prep time :
Bake/Cook time :
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup pepper jack, shredded
- 1/2 cup mozzarella, shredded
- 1/4 cup basil and tomato feta
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup Italian-style bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook elbow macaroni according to package. Bring water to a boil, add 1-tablespoon salt, add elbow macaroni, stir and return to a boil. Cook uncovered stirring occasionally for 10 minutes. Drain pasta and place back in pot.
- Grease a casserole dish with butter cooking spray, set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, mix olive oil, cayenne pepper, and Italian-style bread crumbs in a bowl (make sure olive oil is mixed throughout). Then heat a sauté pan on medium heat until lightly browned; about 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix all cheeses together (cheddar, pepper jack, mozzarella, and feta).
- In a separate bowl, mix the cooled melted butter, 2 cups milk, 1 egg beaten, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 1/2 teaspoons sugar and black pepper.
- Pour cheese into cooked pasta and stir. After stirring in cheese, stir the milk mixture into the pasta and cheese.
- Pour mac and cheese mixture into a 3-quart oblong casserole baking dish. Sprinkle bread crumb topping on top of mac and cheese mixture.
- Cook on 350°F for 25 minutes until cheese is melted throughout and bread crumbs are toasted on top.
Shout Out To Our Baking Friends
:: Suzanne Schroeder :: cherie :: christy :: M Busby :: Mia H :: Kelly N :: QuannaT :: sklf :: debbie :: Pam :: Richard :: BTRFLY LADY :: buddy :: Sheila L :: carol :: Deborah S :: anne :: Jamie :: melinda :: jhar